Wednesday 8 February 2012

Nuance

One of my favourite people to dance with does this: she turns an ocho into a walk.  I wait for a single langorous step and instead I get a little corrida.  Five steps for the price of one.

Another favourite partner will make me wait.  And wait.  And just when the nagging suspicion that I've failed to communicate my intention to her begins to turn into a full-fledged doubt, she'll move forwards.  So, so slowly.  Like a rose growing in time lapse photography.

Another: the step forward is strong and deliberate and then the final part of the pivot to turn her hips towards me is like a sigh.  A reluctance to complete the movement.

I lied a little.  These are from the same partner, during the same tanda.  Don't you get bored of the same dance, day after day? ask friends.  How can we?  Every moment is like standing between two mirrors, with an infinity of reflections, except every single reflection can be a different choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment