Friday 4 May 2012

...como una maldición...

We all carry around our curses.

For me, there've been different things at different times.  Some seem constant.

Posture, of course, for me.  Always posture.  Slowly it improves, but as I dance I always feel it's wrong, know it's wrong.  I think we learn to live with these curses a little more, as our tango maturity develops.  We figure out that we can't worry about all our inadequacies all the time.  If we do, we dance like robots, constantly correcting ourselves.  Overcorrecting ourselves.  Forgetting the dance itself.  We get lost in the technicalities.

I know those whose curse is that they bend their legs too much or not enough.  Or they hold on too tightly or lean their head too far forwards.  Their arm on the open side of the embrace is too stiff or too much like jelly.

And the more you fixate on your problem, the bigger the curse grows.  Until your fixation on the problem is your real problem.

And to break the curse?  Apart from practice, I've still found only one answer:  Patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment