Monday 14 May 2012

...del desamparo cruel...

It's easy to find a comfort zone and stop trying to improve.  We neglect our own training.  We turn our noses up at possibilities to improve ourselves.

Some reach this comfort zone early.  They turn up at milongas.  They dance as much as they want to.  They go home.  They don't seek to make themselves nicer to dance with.  They've achieved their goal already.

I think we all go through phases of this.  There are times when I've stagnated.  Settled for where I am, accepted that I'm good enough.  There are times when the effort and risk of going backwards in the interests of eventually going forwards again seem too high.

And then something inspires me again.  It may be watching a particular leader.  It may be dancing with a particularly wonderful partner.  It may be failing to dance with a particularly particularly wonderful follower.  And back to the class I go.  Back to the private lessons.  Back to the practice time with renewed enthusiasm and determination.

I'm back to enthusiasm at the moment, and so I realise that I've been neglecting my tango education recently.

And by neglecting that, I've been neglecting my dance partners too.

No comments:

Post a Comment